Forecast was rain, storytime is on Thursday and I had holds waiting to be picked up so we headed to the library today. Unfortunately we arrived after storytime, but we did get some good books. The two I have to tell you about today were random choices (i.e. not from a list of great books I was consulting).
Mabel Dancing by Amy Hest was sitting on top of one of the shelves and looked like it would interest Mara since she has been into dancing lately. It's a cute story and we enjoyed it at naptime today.
The second book is by Aliki and I was actually looking for another book by this author that wasn't there, but this one was and it is excellent. As I was reading it to Mara before naptime I was thinking how I needed to come post a reminder to myself because it would go with another book I had posted about before. Quiet in the Garden is about going outside into the garden and really listening to see what you observe. It would be a perfect companion to The Listening Walk.
ETA: I was right about this one being a hit. I think we have read it everytime we have sat down to read library books in the last day and she even wanted to come home in the middle of our nature hike to read it. Silly kid, even if it is a good book, the real thing is still better, especially the butterflies we were watching today!
The lesson for me in this experience was to go off-plan sometimes. There are plenty of good books my family will enjoy that aren't on someone else's list, and really whats the risk when you're just borrowing it from the library.
We finished up the trip with a few books from the used book shop in the library and a visit to the duck pond outside where we saw a gorgeous redwinged blackbird and turtles swimming.
No comments:
Post a Comment